by Former Top Chef: Edmund Konrad
Serves 2-4 people
TOR Wines Tierra Roja Vineyard, Oakville, Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2ea 2.5# Venison racks
- 5ea Celery root, medium-sized
- 1 cup Hazelnuts, rough chopped
- 2 Tbsp Hazelnut oil
- 1 Pound European (high fat) butter
- 1.5 Pound Black kale (stemless)
- 4oz Shallots, small diced
- 1 Tbsp AP flour
- 16oz Heavy cream
- 3ea Honey crisp apples 1ea
- Whole Nutmeg
- 4Tbs of Demi-glace
- 4 Tbsp Black currant jam
- 1 bunch of Fresh Parsley
- Remove stems from kale and wash thoroughly.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Blanch kale in boiling water for 5 minutes Strain and set aside.
- Rough chop once cool enough to handle Add 1 Tbsp each of butter and oil to saute pan.
- Once hot, add in small diced shallots and cook on medium heat until translucent.
Roasted Celery Root:
- Peel and wash celery root.
- Cut into 1⁄4” disks and season.
- Add 2 Tbsp butter to saute pan.
- Once the butter starts to brown, add disks to the pan and cook gently on medium-low heat until fork tender.
- Remove and set aside.
- Toast hazelnuts in remaining butter. Once browned, add hazelnut oil, chopped parsley, and diced apples spoon onto celery root to serve.
- Season liberally with flaked salt and cracked black pepper.
- Sear in hot steel or cast iron pan until deep brown on all sides.
- Place on a roasting rack in a 350° oven and roast for 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester feels just hot to the touch.
- Venison should be medium to medium rare in temperature. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for another 30 minutes.
- Once rested, cut rack into chops
Black Currant Demi-Glace:
- Warm demi-glace in pan.
- Slowly whisk in cold butter until.
- Add in black currant jam and mix well emulsified and sauce is viscous.
- Season to taste.